SmartThings today rolled out new dimming features to the Dashboard section of the app. Now when you access the Actions options under the Activity Feed, there are expanded options that including dimming of a select group of lights.
To set the dimming levels of a select group of lights, follow these steps:
- Enter your Activity Feed
- Next to mode, you can click on the settings icon
- You’ll have an option to Add a new action and select ‘Next’
- Tap on ‘Turn on these lights or switches’
- Select the lights you’d like to dim and select ‘Done’
- Tap on ‘Set dimmers to this level’
- You can set dimming levels 10 percent to 100 percent
- Tap Done
Your new dimming functionality is now available when selecting different modes in your Activity Feed.
The capability to dim a group of light switches, lamp modules has been missing from SmartThings. This new functionality is certainly a welcome first step. Hopefully, in future revisions, we’ll see the developers add support for different dimming levels for each light. This would bring full support for ‘scenes’, which is easily accomplished in Vera.
There’s no need to download an update from the App Store. SmartThings has pushed this capability to your app.
Check out the dimming functionality in SmartThings and let us know what you think either in the comments or in The Brilliant Home forums.